Do you notice newsletters you’ve received where you’re yawning before you even really get into them?
You know and respect the author and want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they have something valuable to convey, so you open it and start reading.
Only to find it sounds like everyone else.
Not terribly distinctive, interesting or intriguing.
Not giving you, the reader, any satisfaction and certainly not doing anything to foster allegiance to the writer.
I just read one such newsletter from a woman I greatly admire, but abandoned the effort after only a few lines.
I didn’t abandon her though.
I just suddenly decided I’d rather have an authentic conversation with that person rather than read another unmemorable missive that doesn’t sound like her.
At least in a conversation, I’d get to talk with the “real” her.
It’s clear from reading her email that either someone else wrote it or it was taken from ChatGPT.
Don’t get me wrong…ChatGPT can be a great source of ideas and a great tool. But it has its limits.
At least for now, it can’t really capture Your Voice, Your Message, or Your Impact.
That’s because there’s only one of you.
So what are you to do?
We exist in a digital world where email, newsletters, blogs, articles, and posts are an incredible way to build relationships and business, yet you feel incapable of writing anything anyone would want to read, much less benefit from.
Who has the time or skills to devote to writing words that actually sound like you as if you were talking to them on the spot in an engaging and LIVE conversation?
Well, let’s not throw our arms up in frustration so fast!
There is a way for you to convey a distinctive voice in a distinctive world built on your distinctive persona and ideas.
A world where your intended audience pays close attention and where you can consistently create effective marketing, and grow your business, influence and reputation.
Here are some tips for building that world, focusing first here, on your email marketing:
- Know Your Audience. Chances are, the people you’re trying to connect with are attracted to YOU, which is why they’re on your email list to begin with. Conversely, you should be attracted to them. Know them, understand them, be them. What are their dreams, pain points, challenges, frustrations and desires? Why do you believe they picked you? When you’re speaking to your audience you must understand them or they won’t be your audience for very long.
- Write Like You Speak. If you were talking face to face with your audience, what would you say…and more importantly, how would you say it? Write your email as if you’re having a conversation. There should be very little difference between your verbal and written communications.
- Be You. Don’t try to sound like someone you’re not…perfect, polite, polarizing, etc. Just be you. The disconnect for people is when they feel like they’re speaking to someone else or you’re not showing up in a way that’s integrous, whole or true to you.
- Outsource Selectively & Collaborate. Be careful who you may hire to write your words. There are great copywriters who can capture your message and write in your voice. But not all copywriters are created equal. A relationship like this requires work on both sides…you being very clear on what you’re looking to get across, and the copywriter taking the time to listen and understand your motives and style. It’s a collaborative arrangement that allows the copywriter to write in your voice and one that resonates with others.
- Create a Writing Practice. Make the time to craft messages that matter to your audience. Copywriting is a high value activity in your marketing and your business. It has the ability to add tens of thousands and more to your bottom line if done right. So create a practice where you are developing the craft of writing your email messages and, if needed, get the right help to support you.
Remember, if you decide to hire a professional copywriter, be willing to pay. High impact results don’t come cheap. Just like trusted reputations are developed over time, great copywriting skills are developed over time. Anyone who can help you achieve results deserves to be compensated for their skill. This is not the place to cut corners.
If you want to stand out with distinction in your email marketing I’m starting a new Email Mastery group.
If you have a list, even if it’s small, you may be surprised to see what it can do for you.
If you don’t, it’s time to develop one and strategically grow it and leverage it.
In the group, I’ll mentor you on best practices for developing and nurturing your list. I’ll also work with you, one on one, to wordsmith new emails to send to your list and report on the results.
Just email me back and I’ll send you all the details.